I found these helpful tips at StudentHacks.org ;0) The state “….you have any old books that you never plan on reading again, here are some fun ways to recycle them:
1. Hide stuff in your hollowed out book.
Read tips on how to hollow books with a ruler, pen, box cutter, and Elmer’s white glue.
2. Make Book Bookends.
Learn how to turn an old textbook into a bookend.
3. Create an invisible book shelf.
Learn how to stack books on your wall without any shelves.
4. Turn a book into a clock.
If you have a book cover you really like, learn how to turn it into a clock.
5. Make a lamp shade out of a book.
Easy way to convert a book into a lamp shade.
6. Turn a book into an iPod case.
Go ahead and stick your headphones into that book. I’m not kidding.
7. Make table legs out of books.
Any English Major or grad student has probably countless books stashed in their bookshelves or closet. Learn how to make a table out of books.
8. Make a Lift-the-Flap Book for Toddlers
Kids love board books — especially lift-the-flap books. Learn how to make one as a creative gift for that next baby shower or birthday party.
10. Set a good book free with BookCrossing.com
Over 680,000 people in over 130 countries have decided to let a favorite book go free. You simply register your book – leave it at a favorite coffee shop or wherever – and track its progress. Learn more at BookCrossing.com…..” see 10 Creative Ways to Recycle Old Books June 11th, 2008